Research Projects© RWTH
Master and Bachelor Thesis
We are constantly looking for students who would like to do their bachelor/master thesis in the research field of heterogeneous catalysis and technical chemistry in the group of professor Palkovits. In case you are interested please contact professor Palkovits directly. For descent applications, please add to your request: your CV, a certification with all examinations and a short motivation. Of course, all students can get an overview first about topics by contacting the group.
Throughout the year, various research projects are offered in the working group. In the following, current research projects are advertised. Students who are interested in doing research work with us as part of their studies are best advised to contact the respective supervisors. It is also possible to personally visit the working group to get an overview of available projects. Dr. Chalachew Asmelash will be happy to answer any general questions you may have.
External research internships, bachelor and master theses
Since December 2019, Professor Palkovits holds a Max-Planck Fellowship at the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion in Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany. The group "Solid Molecular Catalysts" offers research internships, bachelor and master theses on a regular basis. A detailed overview and further information are available via the following link.
At the moment, the following projects are offered in our group:
- Glycerol oxidation for an efficiency enhanced hydrogen production – development of new electrocatalysts (Sonja Mürtz)
- Active site identification of supported bimetallic Pt-based catalysts for pyrrolidone synthesis (Joby Sebastian)
Synthesis and Characterisation of Co-, Fe- and Ca-substituted LaNiO3 Perovskite-Electrocatalysts for the Electrochemical Oxygen Evolution Reaction in Alkaline Water Splitting for the Generation of Green Hydrogen (Nikolas Kubo)
- Production of pyrrolidone-based monomers for use in detergents and cleaning agents (Kooperaiton mit Henkel AG & Co. KGaA).
Autoclave reactions: Develop parameter screening and purification methods.(SYN/CAT). ( Rebecca Sebers )
- Glycerol transformation in a continuous gas phase reactor: synthesis, analysis and testing of new heterogeneous catalysts (Martina Battisti)
- Supported catalytically active liquid metal solutions (SCALMS) - Novel and unusual systems in need of optimization. The research includes synthesis and characterization of the materials and catalytic investigations with regard to various fields of application. (Felix Ott)
- H2-efficient synthesis of a clean Diesel additive - catalyst synthesis and characterization for the gas-phase non-oxidative dehydrogenation of methanol to dimethoxymethane (Natalia Simitsis)
- Nano Pd-based electrocatalysts for hydrogen oxidation/ hydrogen evolution reaction for energy applications (Shwetambara Jha)
- Applications of Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence in Chemistry (Stefan Palkovits)
- Synthesis and catalytic tests of novel polyphosines as solid molecular catalysts (Janine Baums)